Friday, June 29, 2007

London

London was the first stop on our adventure. We arrived around noon and hit the ground walking. (We did a lot of walking.) Our hotel was across the street from the Tower of London and right next to Tower Bridge. (Tower Bridge is the one most people think is called London Bridge. There is a London Bridge, but Tower Bridge is the famous one that everybody sees in postcards.) Anyway, we took the rest of the afternoon and went on a tour of the Tower of London. It was used as a royal residence, a prison, a fort, and many other things. Of course my favorite thing we saw inside the walls were the Crown Jewels.

The Sisters at Tower Bridge
That night we went to the musical Wicked. This was my second favorite thing we did on the trip. (My first was in Paris and I will talk about that when I write my Paris blog.) The musical was awesome; the sound, the singing, all of it was great. It’s a must see.

Rebecca and I in front of the Apollo Victoria Theatre
The next day we spent visiting the major attractions like Buckingham Palace, witnessing the changing of the guard, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul’s Cathedral, and the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square where we saw famous paintings such as Vincent Van Gogh’s Sunflowers and Leonardo da Vinci’s The Virgin of the Rocks. We ate dinner at a quaint restaurant along the Thames River.

-British Royal Guard-
Mariah, me and Big Ben
Our final day was spent outside of London, seeing Stonehenge, the city of Bath and of course Windsor Castle (no the Queen wasn’t in.) I wondered a little as to what makes Stonehenge so famous, it must be the mystery, because no one knows why it was built and all they could tell us were theories. I like the alien one best.

Stonehenge: Rebecca and I
The city of Bath was cool. The city was founded around the only natural occurring hot springs in the United Kingdom. Again with the Romans, what an amazing bunch of people. They were the first ones to build the city and because of the hot springs they built Roman bath houses, which are like modern day spas. Such smart people. I really liked Windsor Castle but I am a sucker for stuff that has to do with Kings and Queens. We got to go through part of the castle, walk around some of the grounds and see St. George’s church. London was my third favorite place out of the cities we visited.

1 comment:

Wilde Things said...

London sounds wonderful! What adventurous women you are. I'm especially jealous of your Stonehenge outing. I've always wanted to go there. Well, someday . . .
I think the cousin weekend sounds great! Anywhere is good for me.