Sunday, November 25, 2007

Black Friday

I’ve always heard about this shopping day and thought the people who would get up in the middle of the night to save a few bucks on Christmas presents were crazy, not to mention that these same people have to fight it out amongst other crazy people to be the first in line to get all these great Christmas deals. Little did I know it was actually quite fun and I think I’ll do it again next year. My sister-in-law, Pam invited me to go with her and her sisters. (It’s a family tradition for them.) Pam told me they had studied all the ads and had the whole day planned out of where we would go to find the best deals. At first I was a little hesitant, anyone that knows me, knows I am not a morning person and the idea of waking up at 3:00am to go shopping at Wal-Mart of all places, almost made me pass on the adventure, but I thought what the heck I need to try it at least once. We arrived early so that we could scope out the place and plant ourselves in front of the item we wanted most for when the sale started at 5:00am. There was a big group of us, so we all stood at different items so that one person could grab the item from everybody. I was right next to the item I wanted (I can’t tell you what it was because it is a present for someone who reads this blog) so that when the clock struck 5:00am, I could reach forward and grab it. I only panicked slightly, right at 5:00am when the crowd surged forward and I felt like I was going to be crushed on the floor of Wal-Mart against a cardboard display (that is not how I would like to die) but all was well and I was able to grab a few of the items for myself and those in my party and get out safe and sound. Pam and her sisters have it down to a science, so while everyone was grabbing items another person made there way up to the front of the store to get in line to check out, so that we could rush to our next store. (This experience was all new to me, but for you regular Black Friday shoppers I am sure you are thinking, what an amateur. Don’t worry I’m a quick learner and was ready at the next store.) After Wal-Mart we made our way over to Target. Unlike Wal-Mart though, Target is not open 24 hours, so you had to wait outside in the cold, since I already had my big ticket item, I stayed in my warm car until the store opened. However, when it did I made a mad dash inside. It was crazy, people were jammed packed in the aisles and the toy section, well forget about it, it was insane. Lucky for me, I was headed for the sporting goods section which wasn’t too bad. From Target we went to Smith’s Marketplace where the big shopping item there was socks for 50% off. Surprisingly socks and tights were on my list of things to buy, so I went to town. By the time we checked out it was 8:00am and I was dead tired. I parted ways with Pam and her sisters to go home and take a nap. Next year, I'll have more stamina and join them for the whole day. They didn’t finish until 3:00pm. Some of the other stores they visited were; Bed Bath and Beyond, Sears, Bath and Bodyworks, Shopko, Linens and Things, and I don’t know how many more. I added up my savings and it was over $125.00 and I was only buying for two people. I will definitely be back again next year to join with all the crazy people who shop on Black Friday.


I had a good experience, I just thought this picture was funny.

2 comments:

Teandra said...

Yea, I tried that. I don't enjoy it...

Emily said...

You know, I was reading in the newspaper about people going shopping at 1 am in Boise and my only thought was "crazy." Its so funny that you went! I think I would only be up for it if I had fun people to go with. I'm impressed with your savings though. Maybe next year I'll give you my list!