Monday, March 24, 2008

New Zealand - South Island

My trip to New Zealand was most Excellent! I went with my family and since there were nine of us, we decided to book a tour so we could see New Zealand in style. The tour company we went with was Adventure South and was very good. We did some really cool activities and stayed in some neat places. We started our tour on the North Island and met up with Nick and Mariah in Auckland. We stayed on the North Island for a week and then traveled to the South Island, by inter-island ferry, and stayed there for another week. The tour was very active so we were able to do a lot and see a lot. My most favorite activities of the tour were the ones we did on the South Island. Our first two nights on the South Island, we stayed at Endeavour Inlet. To get to our accommodations, we had to take an hour boat ride. We had our own private cabins right on the ocean. It was so peacefully and beautiful. New Zealand has a network of walkways throughout the country and people come from all over the world to walk them. We were able to do a section of the Queen Charlotte Track, nine and a half miles to be exact and I loved it. I loved being out in the New Zealand “bush” and taking it all in. At the end of the hike we arrived at the ocean and had a picnic.


We made it, Yahoo!

My favorite activity of the whole trip was tubing in the glow worm caves. There is no way to describe how cool it was when you first saw the glow worms. You’re floating down the river in the cave and it is pitch black and then all the sudden you come upon the glow worms and it is like seeing thousands and thousands of stars, but way cooler. Our guide taught us this song, “I wish I were a glow worm, a glow worm nevers glum, cause how can you be unhappy, when the sun shines out your bum.” Before the glow worms we went spelunking and after we were able to tube down the river, which was very enjoyable.

My dad, me and Rebecca in the cave.

Tubing down the river.

We were able to visit Fox, which is where my sister and brother-in-law lived and worked for the past four months. Fox is famous for Fox Glacier. Mariah and Nick worked for a helicopter company that gave tours of the glacier. There were able to get my dad on a helicopter ride while the rest of us went on a glacier hike. The glacier hike was cool. It took us about an hour and a half to hike to it and then we were able to spend an hour on it. Fox glacier is one of the few glaciers in the world that is growing. Being able to walk around on the glacier was cool. The blue color of the ice is so vivid.

Mariah and I on Fox Glacier.


Another favorite activity and one I would defiantly recommend was Bungee Jumping. I had the hardest time deciding whether I should go or not because I wasn’t sure I would really jump once I got to the site and saw how far down I had to fall, however I am so glad I went, I had a blast. The feeling of falling was like nothing I have ever felt before and it is hard to describe how it feels. All I can say is that it was AWESOME. The jump is called the Nevis and is 440 feet off the ground. It is the third highest bungee jump in the world. Zane, Mandy (Zane’s girlfriend) Rebecca and I all jumped.

No turning back now. Bombs away! (Oooh, nice buns!)

The daring foursome. Rebecca, me, Mandy, Zane.

Some of the other activities we did on the South Island were, jet boating (the jet boat was invented in New Zealand) and sea kayaking where I was able to hold a jelly fish, very slimy creatures, they slip right through your fingers and a star fish. We also did some more hikes around the island and enjoyed shopping in Queenstown.

I thought this picture was super funny. It is dedicated to all the sheep dogs in New Zealand!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a dork, but I'm glad you had so much fun!

By the way...nice spam there from "fenridal"...Don't touch that link!

Mel said...

WOW Bees! You are crazy! It looks like you had so much fun. I love the sheep dog pic!

Teandra said...

It's sounds magical. I'm glad you had so much fun! WElcome home!

Wilde Things said...

When I got the email the oher day, and realized you were home, I quickly checked your blog. I was disappointed that you had not updated, yet.
So, I am so very glad you did today!! It sounds so awesome! Too bad Mike could not go. I looks beautiful and so varied! Sun, ice, they have it all, huh?
Cannot wait to hear more.
Fun pictures!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Your trip looks and sounded amazing! I LOVE all the pics and am, officially, jealous! So FUN!

Teandra said...

Are you trying to make an annoucement Sue?

Cassie L. said...

I can't wait to go!! We will have to plan our trip soon so that you don't forget all the details. Totally hot picture of you and Mike:))

Caitlin said...

I love the photo of you and Mike, too.

Sounds like a fun trip, I always love seeing your adventures - great photos. :)

Christy said...

Did you go zorbing? I love New Zealand!

Jewels said...

SUE! I'm so glad you left me a comment and I could take a peek into your life. Wow, your life is a whole heck of a lot more exciting than mine!! :) I'll have to let Darren know you had a little crush on him. It will make his whole week! He'll think he is so cool...maybe I won't tell him. :) Keep in touch!

Kristie said...

You need to stop all of this traveling nonsense and have a kid already! Okay, I'm just jealous. I'm happy you had such an amazing trip and I just hope one day we can take an amazing trip together, maybe when we both have kids and want to pull our hair out!