Friday, May 30, 2008

Read One Non-Fiction Book a Month


I've heard somewhere before that sucessful people read at least one non-fiction book a month and since I want to be sucessful, I decided I would try it. It's been a while since I've read a non-fiction book. I really like to get lost in a story and its characters and you just don't find that in non-fiction, but for the sake of sucess I wanted to try. While I was at book club last month some of the girls were talking about kids and a couple of the girls said they were reading a really good book on parenting called Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood: Practical Parenting from Birth to Six Years so I figured since one day we might have some kids and moms are always saying how they never have any time to read, I thought I would read it now while I still have time. Anyway, it was a good, easy read and had some great ideas on parenting. Now that I'm done I was wondering if anyone has any other good suggestions. I'm open to everything; self-help, biographies, historical events, etc...

6 comments:

Butterfly Girl said...

I just read a short auto-biography called The Last Lecture. I thought it was really good. It is about a computer science professor who finds out he has pancreatic cancer, and the things he did to prepare for his "Last Lecture" and his philosophies in life. I really liked it because it was a reminder how important it is to live your life with "the end" in mind and what you want to be remembered for. I have the book if you are interested in borrowing it.

Tara Jayne said...

I read about one non-fiction book per month, but I don't think it's made me any more successful, necessarily. But that could be because I don't really like self-help books. I usually consider mine "research" for my future master's degree in women's studies. But none the less, I recommend "A Return to Modesty" by Wendy Shalat. It's pretty fabulous. I also own a copy (2) actually, but one's Johnny's, if you want to borrow it.

Cassie L. said...

I love love love that book. Koy calls it the "manipulation plan" but I don't really have a problem admitting that a large portion of raising children is manipulating them to do what you need and want them to do. In a good way of course. If you like it, get a copy for yourself. I have read it many times and feel like it is one that I need a refresher on frequently!!!

Tonii said...

Sue, your blog is officially my new favorite! :) You are so awesome, I am so glad I have gotten to know you better through book club. I have been reading Secrets of the Millionaire Mind by Harv T. Ecker, pretty interesting stuff. Can't wait for next book club! :)

Beesley Family said...

Hi Sue! I'm so sad that I can't come to the weekly cousin swim party. Stupid work!! We need to plan another girls night.

Chelle said...

You're such a great book worm, I love it! The last book I read was The Ultimate Gift. I think it's fiction, but it's more life philosophy than anything. I think Hollywood's made it into a movie, too. It was enlightening! I need the Love and Logic Magic book.