Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cherry Picking


My brother, Zane, and my in-laws both have cherry trees in their yards and they have made the offer that if you would like some cherry's all you have to do is come over and pick them. It's been a while but I still have memories of going over to my grandparents house in the summer and having to spend hours picking cherries so that we could then take them home and can them. Neither picking nor canning were on my top fun summer activities list, so I've never taken either of them up on their offer. However this year I decided to go and try it again. It wasn't as bad as I remember and it actually didn't take us that long. We stopped by Zane's house first and picked about one and a half gallons worth. We weren't sure if that was going to be enough for our cherry loving self's, so we went to Mike's parents house too. Their tree had so many cherries on it so we picked another 3 gallons to give away to family and friends. The great thing is that they both have peach trees, so I'll be back at it in August.

3 comments:

Marrdy said...

Picking cherries reminds me of my Grandma. She had the best tree in the world! And the best cherries.

The Leithead Family said...

Don't give the cherries away! Just rinse them, pull off the stems and throw them in a ziplock and into the freezer. Frozen cherries are scruptious. Just remember that you didn't pit them. :)

Michelle Taft said...

who is this telling you not to give them away?! don't listen to her! love the cherries, by the way.
:)