Sunday, December 23, 2007

Gingerbread Houses

On Friday my sister invited us over for our annual gingerbread house making contest. (We actually use graham cracker because they’re more convenient, but you get what I’m saying.) We had a few newbies this year and they always make a couple of rookie mistakes. I have been making gingerbread house for quite some years and if I can be so bold, I would like to share my lessons learned in the art of gingerbread (well graham cracker) house making. First lesson, never make your house to big. A couple of years back my brother attempted to make a very sophisticated house, it turned out looking like a cathedral it was so big, however the problem with making big houses is that you get burnt out to quickly. You spend all your time making the house that when the real important time comes, putting the candy on, you are too tired to finish. So, all your house consist of is graham crackers and frosting. (And really, if there isn’t lots of candy, what is the point of making one at all.) Second lesson and this is the most important one, make sure to get to the candy part as soon as possible. (Hence a small house, you can get to this part faster.) The reason you want to get to the candy part as soon as possible, is because if you wait too long all the good candy is gone. I mean everyone wants to put starburst and peanut butter cups on their house but who really wants to put those gum drop thingies on, not me. Hope this information helps. :-) Happy house making.


The finished product. Mike made a fort and I made a piece of cake.

2 comments:

Teandra said...

You are so creative. That's awesome.

Sorensen Family said...

Hey Sue Bee!
This is Linsey (Okubo) Sorensen. I just looked at your blog through Jenny Roper's blog. You look so cute it's fun to see what you have been up to.
Linsey